Vacation and Leave of Absence

Vacation Quarter

SCIE and College program students who attended school in the U.S. for three consecutive quarters may be eligible to take a vacation during the following quarter, provided they will continue to study in the U.S. for the academic term after the vacation. A vacation quarter means the student will remain in the U.S. but not study full-time. Students with questions regarding eligibility for vacations should contact the International Programs (IP) Office.

College program students are also allowed to take a vacation during their first Summer Quarter, provided that Summer is not their first quarter of study after their initial entry into the country.

To request a vacation quarter, you must submit a Vacation Quarter / Quarter Off Request online in SCDGlobal before the intended vacation quarter begins.

Leave of Absence

If you are not eligible for a vacation quarter, but you must return to your home country due to unusual circumstances, you may be eligible to take a leave of absence. A leave of absence can only be for 5 months or less. If you believe you might need to take a leave of absence, please consult with an advisor in the International Programs (IP) Office.