Students who wish to travel home or to visit any country outside of the United States and plan to return to the U.S. as an F-1 student must obtain a travel signature on page 2 of their I-20 form. Students should drop off their I-20 at the International Programs (IP) Office front desk three business days before their planned departure date. An advisor will sign the I-20 if the student is in status and intends to pursue fulltime study the following quarter. Please note that students may also be required to obtain a visa from the country they wish to visit.

REMEMBER: International student advisors in the International Programs (IP) Office are the only designated school officials (DSO’s) who can sign I-20 forms. Instructors and counselors are not authorized to sign this form.

Students must show their passport, F-1 visa, I-20 and financial statement at the border when re-entering the United States. All forms must be valid at the time of re-entry. Exception: For some students, travel to Canada for less than 30 days with an expired visa may still be possible on the Automatic Visa Revalidation program. Please see an advisor in the International Programs (IP) Office for more information.

If F-1 students stay outside of the United States for more than 5 months, their F-1 visa and I-20 will automatically expire. To return to a school in the U.S., students must reapply for a visa, pay the SEVIS fee again, and enter as a new student with a new I-20.