Everyday Transportation 

Commuting to and from Seattle Central College is very easy. Students can use several different public transportation options to access our campus, downtown Seattle, and its surrounding neighborhoods. Click on the photos below or visit our dedicated webpage to learn more:


The ORCA Card is a regional transit pass students can use to pay for rides on public bus, tramway, and metro systems in King, Pierce, Kitsap, and parts of Snohomish County. Seattle Central students are eligible to purchase a discounted ORCA Card at the Cashier’s Office when they register each quarter. The ORCA Card is generally valid from the first day of the academic quarter through the last day of classes. More information on the ORCA Card can be found here. For students aged 16-18, a reduced fare youth card can be purchased at the Westlake metro station or by mail, with proof of age.

Owning and operating a motor vehicle

You must have a valid driver's license and automobile insurance to drive a car or other motor vehicle. If you have a valid driver's license from your home country, you may use it as long as it is valid, or up to one year, whichever comes first. Make sure the license contains photo identification. Some rental car and insurance companies may not accept a foreign driver's license and will ask instead for an International Driver's Permit (IDP). IDP must be obtained in your home country before leaving for the United States.

To obtain a Washington State driver's license, you must pass written and driving tests. Written tests and test preparation guides are available in the following languages: Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish and Vietnamese. Visit the Department of Licensing website for license office locations.


Traveling in the United States

Travel By Bus or Train

Greyhound buses and Amtrak trains are great options for trips within the U.S. and Canada.

Travel By Air

Many U.S. airlines offer "Visit USA" fares, which consist of coupons valid for 3 to 10 flights. They usually start at about $300 for 3 flights, and must be bought in your home country before you leave.