Students can get immediate assistance from the International Education Programs (IEP) front desk, without meeting with an advisor. All students should bring picture ID when visiting the IEP Office.

Front desk assistance includes the following:

- Obtain and submit forms
- Submit an I-20 form for a travel signature
- PIck-up an I-20 form
- Get assistance with a hold on a student account
- Ask questions about medical insurance or other general topics
- Make appointments with advisors

Advising and Counseling

Advisors are available during walk-in hours or by appointment. The IEP Division Counselor is available by appointment. Please be sure to bring your Seattle Central Student ID, or other valid picture ID, when you visit our office.

Information on advising walk-in hours, appointments, and primary advisor assignments is available on the Academic Services and Advising webpage.