Normal Progress

Seattle Central College has specific policies regarding normal academic progress. In addition to the college policy, DHS also has special requirements regarding normal progress for F-1 and M-1 students. This section describes the normal progress policy for international students at Seattle Central, which takes both the college policy and the DHS requirements into account.  

Academic Suspension or Dismissal 

International students who are academically suspended or dismissed have not maintained their immigration status and will face the penalties for falling out of status.   


College students may be academically suspended from the college for failing to maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher for 3 quarters or more. Certain Career Training programs may have higher requirements than this. Students in these programs should consult with the program counselor.

Grading Options: W, NC, I and Y 

International students in SCIE and the College must take the following grade restrictions into account:

- A Withdrawal (W) that puts a student below full time will cause the student to fall out of status.

- A No Credit (NC) or 0.0 grade may not cause a problem on a one-time occasion; the credits may still count toward the full-time requirement. It is important to note the following:

- Multiple NC's, 0.0's and W's in non-consecutive quarters will be reviewed by the advisor on a case-by-case basis to determine whether normal progress has been made. In general, if a student's degree program must be extended because he/she did not pass enough classes, then the student will be out of status.

- An Incomplete (I) or a Y grade will show as a non-completed course until a student finishes the course requirements. Students must make arrangements with the instructor and should be sure to finish the class in order to get a final grade. An excessive number of uncompleted I or Y grades could cause problems with program completion.  

Which to choose: 'W' or 'NC'?

When students are not passing a class, or perhaps finding it very difficult, the first thought might be to drop the class. The instructor might even recommend that a student withdraw rather than continue. This might be fine academically, but it poses a problem for maintaining immigration status!

In general, it is better for a student to take a No Credit (NC) for a class rather than a Withdraw (W), if dropping the course would place the student below 12 credit hours. An NC may keep a student in status, but a W will automatically put the student out of status. Students who definitely want to Withdraw from a class must meet with the International Student Counselor or Advisor first. It may be possible to add another class that will allow a student to maintain status.