Admission Requirements

To view requirements, click on your applicant category below. All required documents must be received by the deadline. Students must be at least 16 years old on the first day of classes.

Applicants who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents (green card holders), or who will enter the United States on an immigrant visa, or who plan to study while on A, E, G, H, I, K, L, or U visas must apply for admission via the resident admission office.

Applicants who have already attended North Seattle College or South Seattle College should not submit an admission application, but contact International Admissions directly for instructions.

General Applicants

General applicants must submit the following items:

1.  International Student Application
2.  $50 application fee, and optional $50 express mail fee
3.  Proof of finances, showing sufficient funds are available
4.  Copy of passport (photo page only)
5.  Proof of English proficiency (only required for applicants wanting a direct placement)
6.  High school diploma or High school transcripts (only required for 16 and 17 year-old applicants)

Transfer Applicants

Students are considered transfer applicants if they are already in the U.S. studying on F/M-1 visas, or if they have studied in the U.S. with an F/M-1 visa within the past 5 months.

Transfer applicants must submit the following items:

1.  International Student Application
2.  $50 application fee, and optional $50 express mail fee
3.  Proof of finances, showing sufficient funds are available
4.  Copy of passport (photo page only)
5.  Proof of English proficiency (only required for applicants wanting a direct placement)
6.  Copy of current / most recent I-20 form (only required for students still in the U.S.)
7.  Copy of F/M-1 visa
8.  High school diploma or High school transcripts (only required for 16 and 17 year-old applicants)

Additional Steps to Complete

During the application process, transfer students must ask the advisor at their current / most recent school to complete and submit a Transfer-In Status Verification Form.

Once admitted, transfer students must ask the advisor at their current / most recent school to transfer their SEVIS record to Seattle Central before the first day of class.

Both the student's SEVIS record and Transfer-in Status Verification Form must be received before a transfer I-20 form can be issued. See the "Issuing Acceptance Materials and I-20 Form" section at the bottom of this page for more details.

Returning Applicants

Students who attended Seattle Central for at least one quarter, and then either transferred to another institution or left Seattle Central for at least two quarters, can apply as returning students.

To re-enroll at Seattle Central, returning students must:

1. Submit a Returning Student Record Update Form
2. Provide proof of finances, showing sufficient funds are available
3. Pay the optional $50 express mail fee (only for students who want their acceptance materials sent by FedEx express mail)

Returning students must send the items listed above directly to the International Admissions Office. Agents and institutional partners are not allowed to make requests on behalf of returning students.

Also, depending on their particular situation, returning ESL or College Bridge students may be allowed or required to take the English placement test again prior to registration. Specific guidance will be provided by the Admissions team once the student is admitted.

eLearning Applicants

Students who plan to enroll at Seattle Central and only take self-paced, seminar, telecourse, hybrid, or ´╗┐online courses, either from their home country or while attending another institution in the United States, can follow the procedures for the applicant types listed above. Proof of financial support is not required. Students who later decide to study in person in the United States must provide proof of finances before an I-20 form can be issued.

Concurrent Applicants

Students in the United States on F-1 visas who would like to take classes at Seattle Central but stay on their current school's I-20 form can apply as concurrent applicants.

Concurrent applicants must submit:

1. PDF Admission Application
2. Receipt for $50 application fee payment
3. Copy of passport (photo page)
4. Copy of I-20 form from current school
5. Proof of English proficiency (students without proficiency must take an English placement test)

Concurrent applicants are not required to provide proof of finances.

Concurrent applicants must send the items listed above directly to the International Admissions Office at


Also, review the information below, if it pertains to you:

Intradistrict Registration

International students enrolled at North Seattle or South Seattle Colleges in a degree or certificate program are able to register for classes at Seattle Central College (up to 5 credits) without applying for admission, as long as they have met class prerequisites.

To register for a class, students need an advisor’s signature, which they can obtain:

- from advisors at North Seattle or South Seattle Colleges. The student would then register through the registration office at North Seattle or South Seattle Colleges.

- from advisors at Seattle Central College. The student would then register through Seattle Central’s registration office.

Intradistrict students are not able to register online. Students who wish to take more than 5 credits must apply for admission.

Intradistrict students may register at Seattle Central with other returning students on the second day of returning student registration week.

Partner Agencies and Educational Institutions

Before partners can submit admission applications on behalf of students, they must first become official representatives of Seattle Central and have a Global Marketing Agreement Application (GMAA), Global Marketing Agreement (GMA), or Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on file with the IP Marketing Office.

Prospective agents and advisors can read more about becoming a partner here.

Students with Dependents

To obtain an F-2 I-20 form for dependents (spouses and children), applicants must:

1. Complete the section on dependents in the admission application form
2. Provide a copy of the dependent's passport, plus original and translated copies of the marriage certificate (for spouse) or birth certificate (for children)
3. Provide proof that an additional US$3,000 is available per dependent (in addition to the sufficient funds required for the student)

F-2 visa holders may study part time in ESL or college-level programs (F-2 children may attend primary or secondary school). An F-2 visa holder must depart with the F-1 visa holder when he/she leaves the United States.

Students with Disabilities

Applicants with disabilities should notify the IP Office of their disability, so adequate accommodations can be considered. Additional information for applicants with disabilities is available here.


Finally, note the following details:

Sending / Processing Applications or Application Materials

Online: Via our admission application portal

Email: (10MBs max per email)

Mail: Seattle Central College, 1701 Broadway BE1113, Seattle WA 98122 USA 

The Admissions Office will send an email to applicants confirming receipt of the application. Applicants will receive additional information once the materials have been reviewed. Complete applications are normally processed within 3 to 5 business days.

The Admissions Office will inform applicants of missing items and information via email. The processing time for incomplete applications will depend on when the missing information is submitted.

After reviewing documents submitted with the admission application, the International Admissions Office may choose to request additional items from an applicant. Examples of items that may be requested include:

- Original copies of financial documentation
- Original copies of academic transcripts
- Letters or certificates verifying information provided on the application

Some reasons why documents might be requested include:

- To clarify information in the application materials
- To verify the authenticity of information, such as financial documents or transcripts
- To confirm relationships (e.g., applicants to dependents or sponsors, sponsors and companies providing financial support, etc.)

Items in addition to the regular list of application materials are only required if specifically requested by the international admissions office.

Applying for a Priority Admission Certificate to Strengthen Your F-1 Visa Application

The Priority Admission Certificate is a special letter that highlights an applicant's achievements and academic preparation. Priority Admission Certificates may be especially helpful for students applying for F-1 visas in countries where visa approval can be difficult.

A sample of the Certificate is available here.

Requirements for the Priority Admission Certificate

Applicants must submit the following with their admission application:

- High school transcripts with a 'B' average or higher
- Academic and career plan (University Transfer or Career Training)
- Official results from IELTS or TOEFL

Applicants may also provide these optional materials:

- Official test results from the ACT or SAT
- Official proof of alternate English proficiency
- Proof of recent enrollment in English / college preparation program
- Letters of recommendation from current school (teacher or school counselor)
- A financial deposit of $7,000 for two quarters tuition (see Wire Transfer Guide for details)

The certificate will be included with the acceptance materials and I-20 form.

Applying to Career Training Programs (A.A.S. or B.A.S.)

Applicants to Career Training programs (A.A.S. or B.A.S.) must go through a two-step admission process. First, they apply for admission through the International Programs (IP) Office, either as a "General", "Transfer", or "Returning" applicant.

Once admitted through IP, applicants must apply for the specific Career Training program they intend to enroll in. With most programs, there is a formal admission process, including a list of prerequisites that must be met before formal acceptance to the program can be granted. In some cases, students may be able to take program classes as soon as they are eligible for college-level study.

Students who cannot complete program prerequisites by the time admissions decisions are made will need to wait until the next available intake to be admitted. In cases where programs have a long wait list and/or limited intakes, students may need to wait until the next year before starting the program.

Students who qualify for direct college placement will be referred to their future primary advisor after being admitted through IP. The primary advisor will then advise the students on the specific program application and enrollment process.

Students who must first take ESL classes prior to beginning their Career Training program will not be referred to their future primary advisor. They will go through the normal ESL admission and registration process.

Issuing Acceptance Materials and I-20 Form

After an application is processed, online applicants will receive a link to access their acceptance letter and materials immediately online (excluding the I-20 form).

In addition, acceptance materials and an I-20 form will be mailed to the student. Two delivery options are available:

- FedEx Express Mail, which costs $50 and takes 3-5 days to arrive
- Regular Mail, which is free but takes 2-5 weeks to arrive, depending on the destination

Applicants who would like their materials sent by FedEx express mail can pay the $50 express mail fee at the same time they pay the $50 application fee, via the admission application portal. For students applying via an approved agent partner, Seattle Central provides one complimentary international express mailing per application.

Students who apply using the PDF application can pay for the application and optional express mail fees by accessing our credit card payment system directly, here.

Per a new SEVP policy effective June 2019, I-20 forms can only be sent or given to the student, his/her dependents, or, if a minor, his/her parents or legal guardian.

Transfer applicants will only receive digital copies of their acceptance materials until their current / most recent school releases their SEVIS record to Seattle Central. Once the SEVIS record is released, the I-20 form and hard copies of the acceptance materials will be sent. Students whose SEVIS record is in "Terminated" or "Completed" status must contact the IP Office prior to requesting a release of the record.

Travel Outside the U.S. While Transferring Schools

Students who plan to travel outside the United States after leaving their previous school and prior to starting at Seattle Central must:

1. Check orientation and testing dates to ensure timely arrival at Seattle Central
2. Verify with their current school that their SEVIS record has been released
3. Use the Seattle Central transfer I-20 form to enter the United States

Once a SEVIS record is released to Seattle Central, the old I-20 form is no longer valid.

Students whose records are not released prior to leaving the U.S. must ask Seattle Central to have their new I-20 forms mailed to their home country. It takes 3 business days for a transfer I-20 form to be sent once the SEVIS record has been released.

Deferring Enrollment

Admitted students who need to defer their first quarter of enrollment must complete an Application Deferral Request and return it to the International Admissions Office at For online applicants, this can be done directly via the admission application portal, rather than via email.

Transferring Credits

Applicants who studied at another college or university may be able to transfer credits to Seattle Central. After receiving the student’s application and $50 application fee, the International Programs Office can perform a preliminary transcript evaluation upon request and determine whether the credits may be used to meet requirements for a degree program. For further details, click here.